For the last stretch of this semesters, the class will participate in the U.S. Department of Energy’s Solar Decathlon. For the 2011 competition, the University of Hawaii has been chosen. Basically, there are 10 areas which award points for not only creating a solar powered house, but also being functional and architecturally appealing. As computer scientist, our goal is to provide software which adds functionality to the house’s innovations.
For this assignment, I must create user stories to consider various aspects of the house in terms of usability. Basically, I will role play as a person who lives at the house to understand the features that would create an enjoyable living space with respect to software. This may imply software such as a user interface to control the room temperature or control the house’s lighting situation in an energy efficient method. The following list are the user stories that I thought of.
- As a user, I want to view the total energy usage of the house such as heating/cooling or lighting.
- As a user, I want to be alerted when energy use has hit a certain limit.
- As a user, I want to know the amount of heated water available.
- As a user, I want to know the status of the aquaponics such as water quality and recycle waste level.
- As a user, I want to know the status of the heating/cooling mechanism’s ability to adjust temperature.
- As a user, I want to control the room temperature using a touch screen.
- As a user, I want to control the multimedia system using an ipad or smart phone.
- As a user, I want to control the lighting system so that the lighting illuminates the area around the user or indiscriminately lights the room.
- As a user, I want to simulate the energy usage over time by turning appliances on and off.
- As a user, I wast to restrict access to certain settings such as room temperature and energy usage alert.